St. Charles Celebrates America’s Bicentennial – 1976
St. Charles Parish had the first international bicentennial project in the state of Louisiana—a visitor exchange with the town of Breman, Germany.
As a result of this project, negotiations began for the establishment of a trade mission in New Orleans.
St. Charles Parish, known originally as the German Coast, was one of the earliest areas settled in Louisiana. Beginning in 1719, German families from the John Law Company arrived in St. Charles Parish.
This text is copyright © material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.