From St. Charles Parish: A Pictorial History
After almost 150 years of Catholic dominance, the emergence of Protestant churches on the German Coast began. New Catholic and Protestant churches continued to be established in the 20th Century.
- 1806: Original St. Charles Log Church in Destrehan burns and is replaced by wood-framed church painted red (Little Red Church).
- 1859: First Protestant church is organized on Old Spanish Trail.
- 1862: St. James Methodist Church is established in Hahnville.
- 1865: Bethlehem Baptist Church in Hahnville is founded by African American missionaries.
- 1866: L’Eglise Notre Dame du Rosaire (Our Lady of the Rosary) Chapel is established in Taft.
- 1866: Baptist Church, Killona, is established.
- 1895: Mount Airy Baptist Church of Boutte is established.
- 1897: St. Matthew Baptist Church, New Sarpy, is established.