Ferry Service Ends – 1983

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Early Ferry Service
Early ferry service in the 1930s wasn’t always an easy crossing, especially in the spring when the river rose and the river was filled with driftwood.

The opening of the new bridge over the Mississippi River brought an end to ferry service in St. Charles Parish.

Since the 1800s, when minimal ferry service was provided by private citizens until later years when the state/parish made ferry service available on a regular basis, crossing the river on the “ferry boat” was a time consuming and often times dangerous ritual which tried the patience of all. In October of 1983, the service was discontinued.

Automobile and Pedestrian Ferry Luling
Automobile and pedestrian ferry over the Mississippi River at Luling. Vehicles could cross the river here and at Destrehan, while pedestrians also used a small boat going between Norco and Hahnville. (Courtesy of The Herald)
Shell Skiff
Charles Troxler of Taft and friends in 1936 on the Shell skiff. Many citizens used similar vessels to criss-cross the Mississippi River from east to west banks and vice versa!
1950s Ferry
By the 1950s, ferry service had improved with a more modern Luling/Destrehan ferry.
Pedestrian Free Ferry
The pedestrian free ferry on the Mississippi River. (Source: St. Charles Parish Resources and Facilities publication, 1961)
The Ferry Inn
The Ferry Inn offered some comfort to the thousands who waited patiently for “the next ferry.” (Photo courtesy of Ruby Reeves)

This text is copyright © material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

Related Images

Click the images for caption information.
See all images related to this topic.

Further Reading

Ferry Boat Leaves Many Fond Memories
The Herald-Guide marks the end of ferry service in the parish

Luling ferry disaster victims memorialized
Oct. 24, 2009

List of Parish Ferry Landings

Related Articles