Artwork by local artist Lorraine Gendron of a slave revolt.
The Trépagnier Plantation, which later became Myrtleland, was built by Francois Trépagnier. Myrtleland Plantation was sold to Thomas Sellers in 1876 and the area (present-day Norco) became known as Sellers. The Bonnet Carré Crevasse of 1882 brought about the end of the flourishing plantation but the house remained intact. Sellers and neighboring upriver Roseland Plantations were consolidated to form Diamond Plantation, which was later sold to Leon Godchaux in 1897. (Sketch courtesy of William E. Riecke, Jr., 1973)
The Trépagnier Plantation in Sellers, now Norco.
Artwork by local artist Lorraine Gendron, depiction of slave revolt.
The Rost Plantation House in 1893 with Judge Emile Rost, son of Judge Pierre Rost, standing on the right and Mr. Destours on left. Photo taken by Mrs. George Don Luce in 1893. (Photo courtesy of Destrehan Plantation)
Home Place Plantation, River Road, Hahnville was built in 1790. (Courtesy of Gene Yoes)
The Destrehan Plantation house was used as an office building for refinery administrators of the Mexican Petroleum Company.
Destrehan Plantation House in the early 1900s.
The former slave quarters of Destrehan Plantation became freed Negroes’ homes after the Civil War.
The Ormond Plantation is one of the few houses that escaped fires, floods, and the Civil War. It was originally built in 1790 by Pierre Trépagnier on land granted to him by Spanish Governor Bernardo deGalvez for his service during the time of the American Revolution. In 1805, the property was acquired by Richard Butler, who named the plantation Ormond after an Irish ancestor, the Duke d’Ormonde. Upon his death, Ormond was deeded to Butler’s sister whose husband was naval officer Samuel McCutchon (Fr. Paret spelled it McCutcheon). Ormond Plantation adjoined the Little Red Church property, housed a post office, and had a large boat landing. Ormond is the only plantation included in Fr. Paret’s series of watercolors that survives into the twenty-first century.
Jean-Nöel Destrehan. 1754-1823. (Photo courtesy of Destrehan Plantation)