Parish officials, circa 1890, are standing in front of old courthouse. Back row, left to right: Anthony Madere, a later sheriff; Mr. Bestoso, court crier; Mr. Terregrossa, a deputy sheriff, and Frank Friloux. Mr. Charles Elfer, assessor, stands in the middle. Lower row, left to right stand: Judge Gauthier; Hicks Lewis Youngs, police juror; Sheriff Lewis Ory, who was later murdered; William Lussan, who later served as president of the police jury and its treasurer for 28 years; and J. C. Triche, Sr., clerk of court, whose family owned the the St. Charles Herald for over 60 years.
The courthouse undergoes an expansion in 1921.
The new St. Charles Parish Courthouse in Hahnville was completed in 1978 at the same site as the former house.
The courthouse is demolished in 1978. (Photo courtesy of the St. Charles Library)
An aerial photograph shows how the old Hahnville courthouse, which was torn down in 1977 after the present building was constructed, looked. The building was built in 1826 and was added onto twice.