St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Luling.
St. Isidore “The Farmer” Catholic Chapel in Montz, 1924. Destroyed by Hurricane Betsy in 1964.
St. Anthony's Chapel at Luling. This is a mission chapel of the Holy Rosary Church at Hahnville. (Source: St. Charles Parish Resources and Facilities publication, 1948)
The Presbyterian Church at Paradis. Five percent of the population is of this denomination. (Source: St. Charles Parish Resources and Facilities publication, 1948)
This old church was located on what was formerly the Rost Plantation, then the Pan-American Petroleum Corporation refinery. It was used as a colored school and church. Source: St. Charles Parish Resources and Facilities Publication, 1948.
St. Gertrude the Great Catholic Mission Chapel in Des Allemands, 1901.
St. Matthew Baptist Church, New Sarpy, 1897. Used as a school for children of color. Courtesy of Joseph Schexnayder
Bethlehem Baptist Church in Hahnville, 1865. Founded by African American missionaries.
L’Englise Notre Dame du Rosaire Catholic Chapel (Our Lady of the Holy Rosary) in Taft, 1866–1964. Only the cemetery remains.
St. James Methodist Church in Hahnville, 1862. Land was donated by Gov. Hahn to build a church. The church was also used as a school.
St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Mission Chapel in Luling, 1902.
Paradis Presbyterian Church, 1914. It became St. Andrew Episcopal Church in 1967.
St. Mark Catholic Mission Chapel in Ama, built circa 1912.
St. John the Baptist Church in Paradis began life as this little chapel.
St. Isidore “The Farmer” Catholic Chapel in Montz, 1924. It was destroyed by Hurricane Betsy in 1964.
First Communion processional to St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Luling.