First east bank settlement site. Located in New Sarpy on La. 48 (River Road). Bustard’s Cove Historical Marker. Bustard’s Cove was the site of the first east bank settlement near present-day New Sarpy at the confluence of the Mississippi River and Bayou LeSeur. Some West Bank settlers moved to the east bank site in 1722.
Letter left at this site by Tonti for LaSalle. Located in Hahnville on La. 18 (River Road)Flaggville Historical Marker.
Taking Possession of Louisiana and the River Mississippi, in the name of Louis XIVth, by Cavelier de la Salle by Bocquin, ca.1860, color lithograph, THNOC.1970.1 In 1682, René Robert Cavelier, sieur de la Salle claimed the lands drained by the Mississippi River for France. Passing through St. Charles Parish on his return trip upriver, La Salle presented his blue serge coat to the Quinapissa Indian chief in present-day Hahnville in honor of this special occasion. (Courtesy of The Historic New Orleans Collection)