Originally the Comardelle Village School, the building eventually become Allemands Elementary.
Des Allemands and Bayou Gauche public schools map. 1. Comardelle Village 2. Bayou Gauche School 3. Black Prince Island School
Des Allemands and Bayou Gauche public schools map. 4. Torez Island 5. Paul’s Island 6. Bowie Lumber School 7. First School 8. Second School 9. Third School 10. Fourth School 11. American Legion
Up the Bayou school boat "The Transfer" used to take students to Comardelle Village. Piloted by Johnny Dufrene.
The former Allemands Elementary building become American Legion Post No. 316.
Involved in establishing the first Allemands Elementary School.
Pictured in 1924, Allemands Elementary was moved down the bayou and back up to Des Allemands. It was later converted to an American Legion Home. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Stanley Dufrene)
Des Allemands third public school circa 1930s.
1957 Mardi Gras parade at the Des Allemands American Legion.
Des Allemands' fourth public school - Allemands Elementary.
Bowie Lumber Company School - Des Allemands in the early 20th Century.
Des Allemands' first public school class picture.
Madisonville School, 1899. Ama. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. John M. Walton, Sr.)
Bethlehem Benevolent Society Hall is now located at the West Bank Bridge Park in Luling. The hall is located on the property at Destrehan Plantation. (Photo courtesy of St. Charles Department of Economic Development and Tourism)
In 1996, the Bethlehem Benevolent Society Hall is shown on its journey to the West Bank Bridge Park on River Road in Luling to be used as the St. Charles Parish Tourist Information Center. The hall is located on the property at Destrehan Plantation. (Photo courtesy of St. Charles Department of Economic Development and Tourism)
In 1862, Thomas J. Sellers (middle, back row) joined the Confederacy to serve with Ogden’s Calvary Regiment and returned to the German Coast after the war. The Sellers family moved to New Orleans around 1882 and returned to the West Bank of the German Coast to the Lone Star Plantation in 1889. The Davis Crevasse forced another move to Alice Plantation (named after his daughter) in Ama in 1893. “Colonel” Sellers died in 1915 and was buried in the family plot at St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery in Destrehan. (Photo courtesy of St. Charles Herald)
Bethlehem Baptist Church in Hahnville, 1865. Founded by African American missionaries.
Leon Sarpy was born in Tennessee and fought in the Civil War. He purchased Prospect Plantation in addition to two neighboring plantations after the war. The Prospect, Good Hope, and Sarpy Plantations became the towns of New Sarpy, Good Hope and Sellers, which became Norco.
Father of Louisiana Jean Baptiste le Moyne, Sieur de Bienville. (Sketch by Janis Blair)