Originally the Comardelle Village School, the building eventually become Allemands Elementary.
Des Allemands and Bayou Gauche public schools map. 1. Comardelle Village 2. Bayou Gauche School 3. Black Prince Island School
Des Allemands and Bayou Gauche public schools map. 4. Torez Island 5. Paul’s Island 6. Bowie Lumber School 7. First School 8. Second School 9. Third School 10. Fourth School 11. American Legion
Up the Bayou school boat "The Transfer" used to take students to Comardelle Village. Piloted by Johnny Dufrene.
The former Allemands Elementary building become American Legion Post No. 316.
Involved in establishing the first Allemands Elementary School.
Pictured in 1924, Allemands Elementary was moved down the bayou and back up to Des Allemands. It was later converted to an American Legion Home. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Stanley Dufrene)
Des Allemands third public school circa 1930s.
1957 Mardi Gras parade at the Des Allemands American Legion.
Des Allemands' fourth public school - Allemands Elementary.
Bowie Lumber Company School - Des Allemands in the early 20th Century.
Des Allemands' first public school class picture.
St. Charles Borromeo Students circa 1949.
The school for African American students was located at Pan American Petroleum. Negro schools began in churches or other dwellings. This church, on the Pan American Oil Refinery at Destrehan, served as a school for black children whose parents worked at the refinery. John Smith, a member of the St. Charles Parish School Board since 1991, attended his first education classes in this building. Smith is currently a retired deputy superintendent of schools in Orleans Parish. (Photo courtesy of the Louisiana Library, Works Progress Administration Program.)
Destrehan High School in 2010. Built in 1976.