John Busalacchi moved from St. Gabriel to Luling in 1899 and began managing his father’s general merchandise store in 1917. John and Miss Jennie were married in 1920. Photo courtesy of the St. Charles Herald
Papa's store in Louisiana's Cajun country was the center of community activities in pre-World War I days. (Now Smith's Grocery)
Esther DeBar (pictured right) and her two sisters ride in the wagon as Papa hauled supplies from the boat dock. (Now Smith's Grocery)
For decades, Madere's was the only car dealership in St. Charles Parish. Closed in 2014. Courtesy the Times-Picayune.
Numa Jr. and his wife Evelyn Delaune donated their home and property in historic Red Church subdivision at the corner of South Destrehan and Church Street to St. Charles Borromeo. In 2017 it is used as the school's parking lot. Photo courtesy Chip Zeringue.
The horse was named "Storm." From left are Velma Clark, Noble and Frank Zeringue, Tobby Gaubert, Ham Zeringue, unknown and unknown. School house was on Zeringue's property in Destrehan. Courtesy of Chip Zeringue.
A woman's job is never done – Nora Zeringue and friend. She eventually became the postmistress of Destrehan. Courtesy of Chip Zeringue.
Mrs. Numa Mayronne Zeringue (Marie) and oldest daughter "Mimi." Courtesy of Chip Zeringue.
Netice N. Zeringue in Destrehan; Louisiana printed on one side of the truck. Courtesy of Chip Zeringue.
Bottling milk in the processing room of the Colonial Dairy at Taft. (Source: St. Charles Parish Resources and Facilities publication, 1948)
The Norco Pharmacy on the River Road in Norco provided a workplace for pharmacist Ned Lowry and Shell Oil Company physician Dr. Paul Landry. The soda fountain was a favorite. In the 1930s, the upstairs was a boarding house for Shell workers. The building is still in commerce in the 21st Century.
Richard's Department Store in Norco was located at the corner of Apple Street and River Road.
The Des Allemands Store was across the bayou from the sawmill. (Photo courtesy of Opal Dufrene)
The Colonial Dairy Farms in Taft opened in 1935 and became one of the largest dairies in Louisiana.
Laura Robottom Smith and Joseph Smith were the owners of Smith's Grocery in Hahnville. (Photo courtesy of Carolyn S. Boyd)
"The Tom" in 1925 was used to deliver goods up and down the river. (Photo from St. Charles Library collection, courtesy of Francis Lorio)
Business district of Destrehan with St. Charles Borromeo School in the background. (Photo courtesy of Chip Zeringue)
Richard's Department Store in Luling. (Photo courtesy of Patrick Yoes)
Robbotom's Mortuary on the River Road in Hahnville, a family business since the early 1900s, was the first mortuary in St. Charles Parish. Owned by Mr. Henry Robottom and P.D. Lorio Sr., services were offered to both white and black families. Robottom's Mortuary is still in operation in Hahnville under the direction of third generation family members.
The Royal Theater on River Road in Norco, circa 1945. (Photo courtesy of Joan Weaver Becnel)
Haydel's Appliance Store on Apple Street in Norco is still in business at the same location. (Photo courtesy of Harold Haydel)
Haydel's Appliance Store employees. (Photo courtesy of Harold Haydel)
Bar-None Ranch Riding Facility and Social Club in St. Rose. (Source: St. Charles Parish Resources and Facilities Publication, 1961)
The St. Charles Pharmacy in Norco was owned by pharmacist Percy Alleman. For a time it also served as the office of his brother Dr. Earl Alleman and Dr. Posey Landeche, DDS.
Banquer's Store, Falcon's Apartments and Migliore's Food Store on the River Road in New Sarpy.
The Vitrano Store in Killona was the site of the murder of Sheriff Lewis Ory in the late 1800s.
The Busalacchi family owned a dance hall, an ice business, and a farm before opening Busalacchi’s Restaurant and Pool Hall in 1948. Under new ownership today, the original structure is in commerce and remains on Paul Maillard Road. (Sketch courtesy of Janis Blair)
Numa Zeringue’s Mamzelle Store was built in 1875 on the River Road in Destrehan where the Capital One Bank is today. Notice the wheel ruts in the road. The family home was located behind the store. (Photo courtesy of Chip Zeringue)
The employees of Mamzelle. Note the barrels and ice box at the back.