Dimitry School

Dimitry School

Alexander Dimitry established the St. Charles Institute (shown above as Dimitry College) on the east bank of St. Charles Parish in 1842. At the time, a college was the same as a high school today. Mr. Dimitry became the first State Superintendent of Education in 1847 and is credited with organizing the state’s free school system.