Elkinsville - Freetown
After the Civil War in 1873, Palmer Elkins, a free man of color, purchased property, tracts 8, 9, & 10 for $943.50. Mr. Elkins was the President of the St. Mary Benevolent Association and helped to educate freed men of color. In 1880, he asked several freed men of color to rear their families and receive training for a living in Elkinsville, also known as Freetown.
The first nineteen landowners were: Palmer Ellcins, Abraham Jackson, George Cacher, Jobn Marby, Smith McCutcheons, Frank Peters, James and Ellen Price, Robert Williams, Betsy Cacher, Thornton Alexander, August Freigil, Mary Louis, Stephen Henderson, Nancy Leonce, John Leonce, Antoine Jones, Jacob Banks, Hockley Watts, Williams Robertson