1770 Land Grants at First and Second German Coasts of Louisiana
…in the year 1770, from Legajo 2357 of the Archives of the Indies at Seville. Grants were made by Luis de Unzaga, Governor General of the Province of Louisiana, from lands in his name, some of which had been formerly owned by others. Each grant is in the form of a Proces Verbal, in French, originally made in triplicate, with one copy for the Governor, one copy to the Clerk (“ecrivain”) of the Cabildo, and one copy to the grantee to serve as his title to the land. Each is executed by Nicolas Francois Le Grand Chevalier de Bellevue as engineer and arpenteur, and by Mr. De Bellisle (who signs “Bellile”), Captain of infantry and Commandant of the Coste des Allemands.
Translated and edited by Mrs. S. J. Gianelloni, Jr., Longwood Plantation, Route 3, Box 114, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
CHURCH AND PRESBYTERE, dated 15 March; witnesses, LeMesle and Brazeau (who sign “fr. Lemelle” and “Brazeau”), inhabitants of the German Coast; 10 arpents on the left bank (of the Mississippi River), about 8 leagues distant from the city (of New Orleans); of land formerly belonging to Rousillon, bounded above by lands of De Livaudais fils (fils – son, or junior), below by lands of Brazeau.
CHURCH OF THE UPPER GERMAN COAST (“L’eglise d’en haut de La Coste des Allemands”), 10 April; witnesses, Antoine Himel and Jean Lamp? (Laub); 4 arpents, right bank, about 10 leagues from the city; being part of land of DuBroq, bounded above by Francois Lebrun, below by DuBroq. (Material extracted from Genealogical Register, Vol. VIII, No. 3, September 1961)
This text is © copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.