Three Major Skirmishes Took Place in St. Charles Parish
HAHNVILLE COURTHOUSE: On August 29, 1862, Union troops marched from Boutte to the courthouse to camp for the night. The next day they encountered troops delivering cattle to feed Confederate soldiers. A battle ensued and the Union forces prevailed.
BOUTTE STATION: A Union train with 60 men was ambushed by Confederate forces of Louisiana militia and volunteers on September 4, 1862. The train escaped to New Orleans after 22 Union soldiers were wounded and 14 killed.
DES ALLEMANDS: Numerous skirmishes occurred at this location. The final outcome resulted in the capture of an entire detachment of Union soldiers led by General Richard Taylor on September 4, 1862.
The German Coast was to remain under federal occupation until 1877.
The LaBranche Dependency House
The LaBranche Dependency House. From all accounts, LaBranche Plantation in St. Rose was one of the grandest on the German Coast. Along with Fashion Plantation, it was destroyed during the Civil War. All that remained was the Dependency House, also called a garconniere (French for bachelor quarters). Olidé and Marie Perilloux Cambre purchased the Dependency House and property in 1902. Pictured here in 1910 from right to left are Olidé Thomassin Cambre (father) (1872–1923), Marie Perilloux Cambre (mother), Lionel (son), Thomas Olidé (son), Marie Cambre Williams (daughter), Bernadette Millet (niece), Elvetia Cambre Gilbert (daughter), and Gretta Cambre Jacob (daughter). The Lentini family of Kenner purchased and restored the property in 1983. The Dependency House is significant because of its exceptional Federal woodwork and rarity as a dependency. It is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
This text is copyright © material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.