Press release of the Morning Star and Catholic Messenger, June 1877 regarding the Little Red Church Rectory Fire:
“In 1877, an arsonist set fire to the Presbytery (rectory) of the Little Red Church. It burned to the ground and 150 years of church records were destroyed. The original register from 1739 to 1755 is the only book that survived the fire. Churchwardens continued to collect revenues from farm acreage and to manage the property. Over 40 years would pass before a new rectory would be built. After the fire, the Red Church pastor resided on the west bank in Taft and continued to serve his parishioners from that location.”
Clippings presented are from the Morning Star and Catholic Messenger.