In October 1910, the New Orleans ITEM newspaper released information regarding the sale of a historic plantation up-river for $100,000. The news article went on to say, “Macon and Schneidar reported… the purchase of Destrehan plantation of Judge Emile Rost…in St. Charles Parish…for $100,000.”
Rost plantation was previously owned by Jean-Noel Destrehan, the first elected United States Senator from Louisiana. The plantation had about 3,020 acres with 20 acres fronted on the Mississippi River extending to Lake Pontchartrain.
The purchase of the plantation also included a sugar house, cabins, barns, implements, mules, and everthing necessary to operate. The Destrehan Planting and Manufacturing Company will continue to operate the plantation for the time being. In the following years, the plantation would become the site of Mexican Petroleum Refinery.