Star Plantation on the River Road in Taft was recognized in Grandeur of the South, a publication of the National Historical Society, as an architectural treasure of early America. Star Plantation was owned by J. Levois of Paris, France.
Thomas Clark Porteous was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and managed the plantation of the Levois family.
Porteous lived in New Orleans, but frequently visited the parish to make sure that all was well at the Star Plantation.
Star was located near the present intersection of La. 3142, which is now occupied by the Dow Chemical Company.
The George Lorio family later acquired the plantation. It fell victim to the Hymelia Crevasse in 1912.
This text is copyright © material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.