NOTE: The following research material is included on this website courtesy of Entergy and was prepared in 1988 for Louisiana Power & Light Company (presently Entergy) following their purchase of one of the most historical properties in St. Charles Parish dating back to the earliest settlements on the German Coast. Originally known as the Darensbourg Tract, this site at the time of purchase was Waterford Plantation, one of the last surviving plantations in St. Charles Parish.
Alden, H. M. and Guernsey, A. H., Harper’s Pictorial History of the Civil War, New York, NY, 1866.
Arthur, S. C., The Story of The Battle of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA, 1915.
Bouchereau, L. and Bouchereau, A., Statement of Sugar and Rice Crops Made in LA, 1868 and 1917.
Brooks, K. L., Burden, Gagliano, Glander, and Weinstein, Cultural Resources Survey of the Barataria, Segnette, and Rigaud Waterways, 1979.
Butler, W. E., Down Among the Sugar Cane, The Story of Louisiana Sugar Plantations and Their Railroads, Baton Rouge, LA, 1980.
Castille, G. J., Survey and Evaluation of the St. Alice Revetment, St. James Parish, LA, 1979.
Castille, G. J., Cultural Resources Evaluation of the Waterford 3 Electric Generating Plant Site, St. Charles Parish, LA. Baton Rouge, LA, 1979.
Charlton, E. H., and Hennick, L. C., The Streetcars of New Orleans, Gretna, LA, 1975.
Clement, W. E., Plantation Life on the Mississippi, New Orleans, LA, 1952.
Conrad, G. R., Readings in Louisiana History, New Orleans, LA, 1978.
Conrad, G. R., St. Charles: Abstracts of the Civil Records of St. Charles Parish, 1700-1803, The USL History Series, 1974.
Degalos, P. A., In Louisiana Planter and Sugar Manufacturer, Volume IX, July 23, 1892, Statement of Sugar made in 1828 and 1829, 1892.
Deiler, J. H., The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana and The Creoles of German Descent, German Coast of Louisiana, Baltimore, MD, 1969.
Ferleger, L., Technological Change in the Post Bel/um Louisiana Sugar Industry, Ann Arbor, Ml, 1978.
Fortier, G. J., Jr., Humorous Highlights of Louisiana History, (undated).
Howell, R. B., Sr., Louisiana Sugar Plantations, Mardi Gras and Huey P. Long: Reminiscences, Baton Rouge, LA, 1969.
Huber, L. V., New Orleans: A Pictorial History from Earliest Times to the Present Day, New York, NY, 1971.
Kondert, R., German Immigration to French Colonial Louisiana: A Reevaluation, (undated).
Leavitt, M., A Short History of New Orleans, San Francisco, CA, 1982.
Martin, F., The History of Louisiana, From the Earliest Period, Gretna, LA, 1963.
McCord, S. J., A Historical and Linguistic Study of the German Settlement at Roberts Grove, Louisiana, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 1969.
Neuman, R., An Archaeological Survey of the Waterford Station, Unit Number 3, St. Charles Parish, LA, Report submitted to Ebasco Services, Inc., New York, NY, 1977.
Rehder, J. B., Sugar Plantation of Southern Louisiana: A Cultural Geography, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 1965.
Rehder, J. B., Sugar Plantation Settlements of Southern Louisiana: A Cultural Geography, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 1971.
Roland, C. P., Louisiana Sugar Plantations During the American Civil War, Leiden, Netherlands, 1957.
Schmitz, M., Economic Analysis of Antebellum Sugar Plantation in Louisiana, 1970.
Seebold, H. B., Louisiana Old Plantation Homes and Family Trees, 1971.
Sims, P., A Struggle for Dignity in Louisiana, Cleveland Benjamin’s Dead, New York, NY, 1981.
Swanton, J. R., The Indians of Southeastern United States, Washington, DC, 1946.
Whitten, D. 0., Antebellum Sugar and Rice Plantations, Louisiana and South Carolina: A Profitability Study, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, 1970.
Warmoth, H. C., War, Politics, and Reconstruction, Stormy Days in Louisiana. New York, NY, 1930.
Yoes, H. E., m, A History of St. Charles Parish to 1973, St. Charles, LA, 1973.
Newspapers of New Orleans
The Daily Picayune:
August 19, 1865
January 28, 1866
March 16, 1866
May 16, 1896
March 13, 1898
August 7, 1988
The Daily States:
June 1, 1896
The Sunday States:
May 29, 1898
August 7, 1892
August 14, 1892
March 13, 1898
Collier’s Encyclopedia, MacMillan Educational Company, New York, NY, 1987.
Cultural Resources Protection Plan, LP&L, April 14, 1983.
Deed of Sale, J. B. and W. B. Whitehead, Richard Milliken, St. Charles Parish, June 25, 1877.
Energy’s Future Rests in your Hands, American Nuclear Society, 1988 (undated).
Historical New Orleans Collection: Martin Behrman Administration Biography, 1904-1916.
Louisiana Directory of Manufacturers 1988-1989 State Department of Economic Development.
Louisiana Power and Light Company, 1986Annual Report.
Louisiana Sugar Report, Note: Chart on Parish of St. Charles – West Bank, 1905 -1906.
Louisiana Sugar Report, 1876 and 1877.
Managing Nuclear Waste, 1976 and 1977.
Merit Students Encyclopedia, MacMillan Educational Corporation, New York, NY, 1979.
Notes on Speech of George Mares, Retired from Louisiana Power & Light Company.
Sesquicentennial Commission, Final Report to the U. S. Congress of the Battle of New Orleans Sesquicentennial Celebration Commission. Battle of New Orleans, Washington, DC, 1965.
St. John the Baptist Parish Orginal Acts, 1807, 1809, and 1810.
St. Charles Parish Orginal Acts, 1807.
Succession of Charles A. Farwell III, Civil District Court, Parish of Orleans, Division B, February 14, 1954.
Succession of Mrs. D. A. Milliken, Civil District Court, Parish of Orleans, Division B, July 20, 1916.
Tregre, E. W., Construction Progresses on Waterford Units 1 and 2, January 1973.
University of Southwestern Louisiana – Center of LA Studies, Green Fields – Two Hundred Years of Louisiana Sugar, 1980.
Waterford Sugar Cooperative, inc., Board Meeting Minutes, Killona, LA, January 5, 1950.
World Book Encyclopedia, Field Enterprises Educational Corporation, Chicago, IL, 1969.
Yearbook Louisiana Sugar Cane Industry, 1939.
This concludes the research material on Waterford Plantation, originally the Darensbourg Tract.